History of MSSS of CLASS
The Multiple Sclerosis Service Society (MSSS) was founded by a man whose brother had MS. Together with another brother and friends, they formed the Western Pennsylvania Multiple Sclerosis Service Society (WPMSSS) in 1952.
As the group gained knowledge and understanding of MS, it expanded the Board, appointed various committees, set up a Medical Advisory Board and began purchasing medical equipment to help people living with MS. In time, the Board opened an office, established a clinic, employed therapists and began financing research projects.
In 1954, the WPMSSS joined the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. In 1965 the connection was severed when the WPMSSS became affiliated with the Health Research and Services Foundation of the United Way of Allegheny County. In 1982, the name was changed to the Multiple Sclerosis Service Society (MSSS) in order to reflect the activities of the organization.
In September 1993 the MSSS opened the Multiple Sclerosis Therapy Center where physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, recreation therapy and social work services were offered to those with MS until August of 2005. In 1999 the MSSS developed the Durable Medical Equipment Company.
In July of 2010 the MSSS merged with CLASS and continues to provide services to 1,600 people with MS in a ten county area of southwestern PA.