CLASS Now Offers Community Habilitation
CLASS is now a provider for Community Habilitation under code W 7060 through the Community Partners Program. Community Habilitation is designed to help individuals develop and retain the skills necessary to lead fulfilling lives in their communities by participating in community activities.
Community Habilitation provides one-on-one support to individuals who would like to learn more about community resources and how to participate in different opportunities in their communities. Community Partners or Habilitation Aids will support individuals to develop individualized plans to meet their personal goals. Once a plan is developed, staff will work with individuals in a partnership model, giving them the tools necessary to track their progress and provide cues to follow the self-guided plan, with support from staff as needed.
Activities can include, but are not limited to;
- Searching and participating in social groups or clubs
- Developing the skills necessary to participate in the community attending local activities and attractions
- Exploring volunteer or vocational opportunities
- Scheduling or learning about available transportation to community activities (grocery shopping, social activities, banking, etc.)
- Promoting relationships and building community connections
- Assisting with problem solving and decision making
- Providing life skills education including, but not limited to, financial and household management
After experiencing some health-related issues, Don was not as active in his community as he would like. With assistance from Christina, his Habilitation Aid, Don now participates more in his community. Click here to read Don’s story.